View Single Post
Old September 11, 2013, 10:29 PM   #13
Malamute

One of the guys on the leverguns forum (Hagler) cold blued a post 64 gun, he sanded the metal well to remove whatever intermediate finish was on it and may have used a Brownells cold blue. It turned out pretty decent for a home job.

Most of the guns in question that I've seen hot blued by regular methods looked purplish. I've been told that some 'smiths alter the tank temp to get them the right color, or use a different blueing salts that work well.

Quote:
The 1964-82 Winchester receivers aren't "alloy", which suggest they're not steel, when they are...
I thought all steels were an alloy of some type, just depending on what percentages of elements it had in it. Stainless is an steel alloy with a percentage of chomium isnt it? Ruger always advertised a Chome-Molybdenum alloy steel.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Page generated in 0.02486 seconds with 8 queries