Thread: 45-70 questions
View Single Post
Old February 18, 2013, 10:16 AM   #15
44 AMP
Staff

Don't know about the Hornady brass, haven't used any.

The one most important thing about reloading for the .45-70 is knowing which class of rifle you are loading for.

There are three, usually referred to as Group I, II, & III. The rifle's strength, as judged by the loads it can safely shoot decides which group the rifle goes in.

This system was developed, informally, by shooters and reloaders back in the 60s, when interest in the .45-70 round picked up again as it approached its centennial anniversary.

GROUP I
The original Trap Door Springfield rifles, and any modern copies. Also any break action guns like the H&R Trapper, and T/C Contender and any gun you are not positive which group it ought to be in.

Loads for these guns should be the blackpowder equivalent. The standard 405gr factory ammo, and reloads in the same pressure ranges.

GROUP II
The original Marlin 1895 and Winchester 1886 class rifles. And their modern reproductions. These guns will take top loads that are unsafe in Group I rifles.

GROUP III
Modern single shots, like the Ruger No.1 & No.3, and bolt actions, such as converted Siamese Mausers. Top max loads in these guns are dangerously unsafe (blow up) in Group I rifles, and too hot for Group II, as well.

Most reloading manuals will have separate sections for the data, but not all call them Group I,II,III...

If you have more than one .45-70, and they are in different groups, it is critical that you keep your top loads for each completely separate!!!!!

Some people use colored markers to paint the case heads, some people use nickled brass cases for one gun and only brass for the other, etc. No matter how you do it, ensure you do it well. Making a mistake and putting a Group III level load in a Group I gun will damage it, and maybe you!

Page generated in 0.02237 seconds with 8 queries