View Single Post
Old April 17, 2011, 10:07 AM   #18
Onward Allusion

Quote:
2damnold4this
Recent home invasions got me thinking
http://onlineathens.com/stories/0416...15531868.shtml
We've had some recent home invasions near our neighborhood and they've got me thinking that I might not be adequately prepared. It seems these three well armed criminals like to catch people outside their homes and force their way in at gun point. My daily carry piece is a G26 inside the right front pocket and that seems less than desirable against three guys with some of them carrying long guns.
I do have a daughter and a wife living in the house with me. I'd like to take my wife shooting with a .38 and see if she is comfortable with it but until then, it would be up to me to defend the house.
It's not practical to carry a rifle or shotgun when outside the house so I guess I'll have to be super vigilant when gardening or cutting the grass. Inside the house, I think I have a much better chance at repelling intruders and I have the option of keeping a long gun available. My two choices are a Mini 14 and a Remington 870. While I've practiced a bit with the Mini using surplus South African ball, I haven't taken the time and tested it with personal defense ammunition. I have less experience with the shotgun but I do have a good supply of #1 and #4 buck. Should I keep the mini with its 30 round mags loaded with the surplus ball handy or use the five shot 870 until I have a chance to get to the range?
What else would you do to prepare?
I'm assuming you have a carry license, so you can open or conceal carry on your property a XDM or some other pistol with much greater capacity. I am a firm believer in capacity in stressful situations. While you may be a crack shot at the range, you may not be when you're scrambling. It's nice to have 20 9mm rounds in your hands rather than having to worry about a reload after you've shot off 8 rounds of 45ACP.

Also, depending on the age of your daughter, you may want to think about hiding firearms throughout the house. If you are concerned about that, then invest in a few quick open gun lockboxes. Make sure the basement has one.

Take your wife shooting ASAP - PERIOD. Get her the necessary skills. She has to take responsibility for her own safety as well as contribute to the safety of the household. Also depending on the age of your daughter, do the same with her.

Invest in an alarm system. While it will not stop the BG from getting the jump on you, it will allow you to hit the panic button, especially if you have a key FOB panic button. Finally, you may want to install surveilance cameras around your home. They are a HUGE deterrent.

Page generated in 0.03466 seconds with 8 queries