View Single Post
Old May 17, 2013, 09:55 PM   #23
GunXpatriot

Well, I've got an old JC Higgins Model 42DLM, which I believe is a re-branded Marlin Model 980. Actually, I believe that was one of the last models to be made under Sears' JC Higgins name... Well anyway, a friend of my Grandpa's had given it to him many, many years ago, perhaps late 60's, early 70's? Could have been later...

I've seen this thing look a few different ways to be honest, the one I've got has a silver bolt and silver trigger. I forget what it's called, but it has that "half bolt handle", like not rounded. Seems to operate smooth enough. My only complaint is the 27-ton trigger pull. Even still, shoots well.

Well anyway, it basically sat in an upstate NY house until just about 5 years ago, when we put it in a storage unit. Never cleaned, never maintained, at all. Would be shot maybe once every few years for a little afternoon fun when they had the chance, or so I'd heard.

So, I don't know how quality of manufacturing is from then to now, especially with the whole RemLin situation, but this gun still shoots wonderfully. Admittedly, I screwed up the ejector, but completely my fault, actually have to go get that fixed.

So, if the crown looks good, the bore is still nice (because honestly, it'll be hard to wear out a modern rimfire bore), and wood looks nice (if that applies), I would say go pick up a nice used Marlin 980 if it's in good shape, like I said. As a new gun, I hear nothing but good from CZ. I can't speak of a newly manufactured 980, because I've never handled one. All I know is, this one is great and still trucking along when I feel like taking it out.

Page generated in 0.03729 seconds with 8 queries