View Single Post
Old December 2, 2011, 11:48 AM   #4
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Are you certain the rifle is NJ-legal other than the "high capacity" magazine? I'm not from NJ. How closely does NJ's regulation mirror the now-expired Federal AWB? If this was a rifle bought right off Bud's web site, I'll bet it's a fairly standard AR-15, which means it probably has a bayonet lug and a flash hider (not a "compensator"). Are you certain those two "evil" features are legal in NJ? I'm pretty sure they are NOT legal in NY.

{ETA}Google to the rescue: http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.p...e-list-nj-awb/

From the link, another link: http://www.state.nj.us/lps/dcj/agguide/3assltf.pdf

Which gives us what NJ considers to be the proscribed "evil" features:

Quote:
A semi-automatic firearm should be considered to be "substantially identical," that is, identical in all material respects, to a named assault weapon if it meets the below listed criteria:

semi-automatic rifle that has the ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least 2 of the following:

a folding or telescoping stock;
2. a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;
3. a bayonet mount;
a flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor; and
5. a grenade launcher;
This is, IIRC, the same criteria used in the Federal AWB. My guess is you will need to ask your friend in Vermont to perform some minor surgery, to hacksaw off the bayonet lug and to remove the flash hider that I'm sure is on the barrel now. That will leave you with a "threaded barrel capable of receiving a flash hider," which is probably also not welcome in NJ, so you should have your friend dredge up a true compensator and install it -- having it welded so that it cannot be (easily) removed.

Lastly, if the rife your friend bought has a telescoping stock, it will have to be set in the best position and the mechanism filled with epoxy to disable the telescoping feature.

Last edited by Aguila Blanca; December 2, 2011 at 11:57 AM.

Page generated in 0.02808 seconds with 8 queries