View Single Post
Old May 6, 2009, 11:43 PM   #8
Lost Sheep

Please explain

Quote:
Originally Posted by _W_
Energy (kinetic) and momentum are both functions mass and velocity and in both cases velocity has the greater influence. Both of which, at face value, gives the advantage to the 10 mm.
"in both cases velocity has the greater influence" Greater than what?

Momentum is proportional to velocity. Energy is proportional to the square of the velocity. Therefore velocity has greater influence on energy than on momentum.

Or did I misunderstand your sentence?

Quote:
Originally Posted by _W_
But, I believe these numbers are only applicable in perfectly elastic and inelastic collisions. The body deforms in so many when shot that these numbers don't say much as far as "knock down'' power.
I agree, totally. Energy absorption depends a lot on highly tne many highly variable conditions you hint at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _W_
For what its worth, the 9 mm can have more energy than the .45 acp
What loads in 9mm have more energy than the 45 ACP? (Limit your response to the 9x19; don't tell me about the 9x23 or 9x57 and I won't tell you about the 45 Super.) And if you bring in 9mm +p, you should compare it to 45 +p, thank you.

Lost Sheep.

Remember, only believe half of what you see and one quarter of what you hear. That goes double for what you get from the internet. Even this post.

Do your own independent, confirming research when ANYONE gives you new facts on the web.

Also remember, even the idiotic stuff might have a kernel of truth buried in there somewhere.

Lost Sheep

Page generated in 0.03286 seconds with 8 queries