View Single Post
Old February 15, 2013, 05:36 PM   #6
horatioo

Quote:
So, back when they were $14, you picked up 71 Pmags. Now you can get $40. Okay, you made $1840. More than doubling your money but you had that $1000 tied up. And it took a 'black swan', the Newtown shooting and subsequent buying frenzy, to make your investment pay off. Even after the election time shortages started, nothing had gotten really scarce or expensive until then.

Or maybe you go for primers, they keep, right? So you get Tula in bulk when they're $20/thousand. After shipping and hazmat, your $1000 gets you say, 8 cases of 5,000. I don't know what Tulas or going for, but let's say $50/K. So you double your money to $2000. But again, your money was tied up and you you didn't have any profit potential until something extraordinary happened. Oh, and selling that many primers....are you a dealer now? Do you need a license? For that matter, were they legally stored by the fire code? And what if your basement flooded while you were waiting for the price to spike?

So sure, you can buy and hope for something to drive prices up, but how long are you willing to wait and how much money are you willing to tie up? If you had bought those 71 Pmags back in 2010 you would've probably gotten sick of sitting on them before January 2013. And what if Feinstein's fantasy came true and they became illegal to sell and thus literally worthless?
compare this to buying shares in wmt or xom or any other stock. I dont think you need to be a dealer to sell $1000 worth of primers. Magazines could be sold on craigslist. Certainly things could go awry and new laws might prohibit me selling them in the future, but a company can go bankrupt making that stock worthless also.

Gun scares and shortages seem pretty common place now. If this one ends there will certainly be another one. The anti gun people are not going away. Also the stuff would probably at the very least hold value, unless 3d printers become available.

Last edited by horatioo; February 15, 2013 at 06:51 PM.

Page generated in 0.02775 seconds with 8 queries