Thread: Interduction
View Single Post
Old April 29, 2006, 09:50 PM   #5
Kelly J

Skeeter 1

I am in the process of working up some expanded loads using the clays powder, the 5.1gr load at 817 FPS is as I stated pretty good and would do the job asked of it up to man or deer, but I want to try a few loads at .1 gr increase up to 5.6gr to see how they do and I will state up front before some get on my case that 5.1 is listed as a max load for the 45 colt, (That based on 14,000 PSI data) I don't want to get crazy but I would like a load with just a bit more athourity.

I tried a load of 10.5gr of Hodgdon HS-6 which should be right at 862 FPS Velocity, had two thing happen with that load, 1. loaded 6 fired 5 and inspected the 6th the round had jumped the crimp enough to completely straighten it out, this was in my 625, so according to S&W my load was too hot for my weapon, or the crimp was not enough, 2. Frankly the recoil difference between 817 and 862 was very pronounced, like going from a 32 to a 357+P load at first I thought I had goofed on the charge weight so when I got home I broke down three loads at random and weighed the charge, dead on at 10.5gr. This still has me a bit uneasy in regard to the difference in the felt recoil, I have saved several of the loads to test in my Vaquero and my buddys S&W 460 mag to measure the Velocity in the Crony./

Page generated in 0.02201 seconds with 8 queries