View Single Post
Old June 3, 2013, 12:57 PM   #8
Sgt127

Colts are wierd. If you trigger cock the gun, very slowly and with a little bit of drag on the cylinder, it may or may not lock up before the hammer falls. But, if you were pulling the trigger naturally, just as the hammer falls, the trigger will continue back the last couple thousands of an inch and the cylinder WILL lock up before the hammer gets to the primer. If, however, you thumb cock them, they will generally lock up as the hammer reaches full cock. If not, then generally as you press the trigger and give it that extra little push on the pawl...or hand...(depending on if you are a Colt guy or a Smith guy).

Once locked up, a properly timed Colt is awesome to behold, far superior to a S&W. I'm not sure that much lock up is necessary, nor desirable, but, it is impressive. As a matter of fact, a Smith armorer would argue that a revolver should NOT lock up that tight, that a little bit of wiggle room keeps everything more reliable.

Being pretty much a S&W shooter, the Colt action used to drive me nuts, I thought they were all out of time. It just works differently. The Colt two part hand works when the second pawl pushes the cylinder into final lock up. A Smith uses the hand as a wedge against the frame for final lock up. They are both good designs, just different.

I can work on a Smith revolver and have spare parts around, including oversized hands, so, I prefer the Smith.

Page generated in 0.03139 seconds with 8 queries