View Single Post
Old April 16, 2012, 03:38 PM   #12
603Country

I was hunting near the big town of Edna, Texas, on a small deer lease we had. I was about a mile from camp, sitting on a folding stool and looking down a pipeline right of way, and here came a nice buck. I shot him, waited a bit, and went down to get him. He had walked up into a thicket before he died. It didn't look like much of a serious thicket, and the buck was smaller than he looked in the scope (funny how that works), so I was just going to step through a gap in the thicket and drag him out. Had the rifle in my right hand and the binocs in my left hand. As I stepped in, my right boot hung up in some vines so I had to quickly bring my left foot forward to balance myself. But, the left foot hung in a vine as I was moving forward. I hit the ground face down and full length so hard and so fast that I was knocked out for a short while. When I came to, my back hurt so bad that I thought I had broken it. Pain was incredible. I left the rifle, the deer, the binocs, and crawled about 100 yards to my ATV. I knew I'd have to ride it to the camp since the lease was mostly swamp. Crawling all the way was not workable. After a time, and great pain, I got up on the Yamaha and got it started and moving. I had to go slower than walking since it hurt so bad. When I got to camp, my buddy's new girlfriend had every drug known to man, being a fulltime hypochondriac. Thank the Lord for her. After 2 days on whatever major league painkillers she gave me, I was able to make it to the doctor. Nothing permanently damaged. I've never before or after had pain like that.

Page generated in 0.03191 seconds with 8 queries