View Single Post
Old July 11, 2009, 01:43 PM   #47
Daryl

Hardluk1

Bear in mind that I didn't say it CAN'T happen; only that in my experience, it's VERY unlikely.

A lot of people say "coy-dog", and later find out it's just a wild mutt.

I've seen people claim lion attacks on their horse, when the legs were chewed up and the sign showed it to be dogs. Lions do not attack the legs of it's prey.

I've seen a lot of people claim damage done by coyotes, when in reality it was dogs.

Not that coyotes, mt lions and such don't cause problems once in a while, but many folks would rather talk about "coy-dogs" or "mt lions" than "someone's mutt". People sensationalize things, and many times they're wrong. Some biologists are just as guilty of this at times, from what I've seen.

If a biologist said "coy-dog", I'd be tempted to ask to see blood sample verification. It's certainly possible, but I know an awful lot about coyotes, and I strongly suspect it's not as common as many would like to believe.

Again, yes, it's biologically possible, and I'm sure it can happen, but out of the many, many coyotes I've seen up close and personal, I've never seen it.

If it were common at all, we'd have lost the coyote as a species many years ago. The blood lines would be so contaminated with mutt blood that the coyote would no longer exist in it's native form. But the coyote still exists, and is very much surviving in a world that's getting tougher all the time.

Daryl

Page generated in 0.03489 seconds with 8 queries