Thread: French rifle ?
View Single Post
Old August 2, 2000, 08:46 AM   #3
eric21

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jim Keenan:
Hi, eric21,

There was a French military rifle designated as the Model (Mle) 1916, used in WWI, and still in reserve in WWII for what part the French had in it. It is a 5 shot, bolt action, loading with an "en-bloc" clip that enters the magazine, in the Mannlicher style. The cartridge is the 8x50R Lebel, which is large at the base and so takes a lot of room, requiring a deep magazine which extends well below the wood stock. There is no safety, but there is a deep round cut in the cocking piece with knurling.

The markings, though, I don't recognize. The "ET'ts" could be "Etats" ("states"), possibly a marking put on by some government that acquired the rifle after WWI (though who would possibly want a Mle. 1916 I don't know). Can you take a better look and see what other markings might be on the rifle.

HTH

Jim

[/quote]
THanks for the info on the rifle the only other markings other than what we assume is the serial # (33074) are on the top of the barrel it is stamped with the letter n,on the bottom of the mag well there is a boxed in MAC , And the last markings are on the left side of the barrel these are cc circle j, circle c followed by the serial #
again thanks for the info Do you have an idea of the value ? He thinks it might be worth 30 bucks i think it might be a little higher at least fifty.

Page generated in 0.02251 seconds with 8 queries