Thread: GPS and hunting
View Single Post
Old January 15, 1999, 02:31 PM   #5
Mendocino

GPS can be a great aid in hunting. Be advised though, that many states do not allow the GPS as an aid in hunting. I personally find this ridiculous, because GPS can be a tremendous safety device.

When contemplating the purchase of a GPS for hunting you might want to consider the following:
1) Any autonomous GPS receiver is only accurate to 100 meters (331') 95% of the time. This is due to the Department of Defense policy of Selective Availibility (SA).
2) Paralell channel receivers with at least 8 channels will provide the best reception.
3) The GPS satellites are not in a geostationary orbit, they move faster than the Earth rotates. Therefore, if you are having trouble getting a GPS solution, wait a few minutes.
4) Don't just buy the cheapest model. The cheapest models are generally sequencing receivers and do not perform well in the woods.
5)Any autonomous GPS receiver is only accurate to 100 meters (331') 95% of the time. This is due to the Department of Defense policy of Selective Availibility (SA)(repeated for emphasis).

If you are interested in High-end GPS (Trimble), and consumer models suitable for hunting (Garmin), check out our site at http://www.ncrm.com. I suggest the Garmin GPS 12 or GPS12XL for hunting, its what I use.

Regards,

JH

Page generated in 0.02205 seconds with 8 queries