View Single Post
Old February 25, 2013, 11:32 PM   #28
Fishing_Cabin

Quote:
Originally Posted by title of thread
Why are guns destroyed after a crime
I have always been told its twofold. First, since many of these folks, once convicted are not eligible to own or receive their firearm back, it is destroyed. Second, those folk who are convicted, and can not own a firearm complain of "policing for profit" because some law enforcement do sell firearms with court approval.

While I do understand folks always look for 'deals' I hope that they understand that law enforcement is a service provided by the government. Selling seized property, even to recoup cost, opens up the can of worms about 'policing for profit'. That's without saying that no matter how a firearm is sold, there will be countless complaints of "if I would have known I would have paid more....I object!" Even when the firearm(s) are sold, the complaints still cost time (money) to resolve. Frankly its cheaper to cut them up, or else face suit about 'policing for profit' or various complaints about 'why didn't you tell me, I would have bid, or I would have bid more' type complaints. Its a real no win situation.

Last edited by Fishing_Cabin; February 26, 2013 at 11:35 AM.

Page generated in 0.02883 seconds with 8 queries