View Single Post
Old April 18, 2012, 05:16 AM   #5
Roscoe54

Quote:
FWIW, the factory .308 ( AND .30-06 & .270) Husqvarna's were Small Ring Model 98's, not Model 96's, and entirely safe with the higher intensity chamberings.
PetahW, I'm not trying to start a debate and you're clearly expert with variations I've never encountered. However I've owned mumerous military Mausers over 25 years and have never heard of a "Small Ring Model 98"...The "98" designation, I thought, applied to only large ring Mausers.

To further clarify the receivers I own, they're from M38 1941 short Swedish rifles...the actions are mechanically identical to the M96 though the later manufacture indicates modernized and superior metallurgy compared with the 1896 versions. I know that steel production techniques advanced dramatically from 1890-1940.

I was just looking through Ludwig Olson's Mauser Bolt Rifles and he mentions a Carl Gustaf model 63 sporter rifle based on the m96 small ring action and chambered for both 6.5mm X 55 and 7.62 NATO...the only significant modification is that it's cock-on-close. In his Mauser M98 & M96--How to Build your Favorite Custom Rifle R.A. Walsh mentions other 6.5 x55 to 7.62 NATO commercial rifles based on the original M96 action.

This string is now for information only, as I've decided to build two 6.5mm Swedes with a couple of 21st-Century modifications and not attempt rebarreling to .308; My previous custom-built Swedes were well-made, very pretty and sub-MOA accuracy; they sold easily. The Swede is the only rifle I feel well-qualified to modify and I've built five or six in the past (though I've never done a caliber conversion). I plan to sell one and apply the proceeds to a Remington 700 or Weatherby Vanguard in .308.

So I'll stick with what I know and end up with two better rifles for a smaller investment. In any case, I'm a great admirer of the 6.5mm Swedish cartridge for both hunting and paper-punching and it's a sin to modify a high-quality unbarrelled Husqvarna action to another caliber. I was thinking out loud about a hobbist project, as I'd love to own a well-tuned and accurized .308 Win/7.62 NATO rifle, but can't bring myself to start cutting on a Swedish action. I sold all my Mausers but still have a Winchester P-17 Enfield barrelled action, as well as a pre-war Arisaka 38--these are both good candidates for rebarrelling and pressures ain't a problem (they can both handle 458 Winchester Magnum easily so .308 wouldn't be a problem, though as mentioned I plan to buy a factory .308 instead).

Thanks for all the helpful input, I've learned some things I didn't know and that's what these forums are all about.

Last edited by Roscoe54; April 18, 2012 at 05:33 AM. Reason: correction

Page generated in 0.03725 seconds with 8 queries