Thread: Fessup Time
View Single Post
Old August 21, 2011, 10:43 PM   #1
TXGunNut

Fessup Time

Not gonna deny it, not gonna justify it, not gonna sugar coat it: I messed up and didn't catch it during three loading sessions and three range trips.
I've been caught up in the excitement of new moulds and lube processes and alternative lubes and sizers and...nevermind, doesn't matter, I messed up.
Somehow I forgot how to seat a 200gr lead SWC in a 45acp case. It's been probably ten years or so since I loaded one so naturally my 50+ year-old eyes recall just exactly how much lead needs to be visible above the case mouth, right? Wrong! After the eighth or ninth tap-rack-bang drill (actually tap-WHACK!-bang ) today I realized these old eyeballs are a bit out of calibration. After cleaning my trusty .45 and before reassembling it I dropped one of my reloads containing my prized (and resized) 200gr lead SWC boolit into the chamber and lo and behold.....it wasn't anywhere close!
OTOH this old fat man came home from a hot but enjoyable day on the range with a few hundred pieces of choice 45acp brass in his brassrattinbucket and a renewed appreciation for paying attention to the basics.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.

Page generated in 0.03040 seconds with 8 queries