View Single Post
Old October 26, 2013, 11:19 AM   #27
PVL

I've looked at the Winchester Short Magnums and I think the cartridge is just fine - but the rifles are generally made with too short a barrel for the cartridge.

Some of them are as short as 22".

Too much hot air from gun writers about "short, light and handy" rifles as if they had forgotten that they were writing about a magnum cartridge that needs at least 24" of barrel in order to work properly.

A demand was created for "light, short, handy" short magnums, so that's what the manufacturers made.

I'll be honest about the Tikka, what turns me off of that brand is that I would perpetually be kicking myself for not going ahead and getting a Sako. I understand that they are accurate but so is the Ruger American, if accuracy were my only criteria.

The problem is that I have been spoiled to using the upper-crust stuff and though I have bought less expensive guns plenty of times, I have never really been happy with them, no matter how well they shoot. - They always wind up being traded off for something else after a while.

I suppose that means that I'm a gun snot and if so, then so be it. I've noticed that I spend a lot more time holding and admiring my guns than shooting them, especially on a hunt and it's a lot easier for me to work up admiration for something that is admirable.

But that's just me. I'd rather spend two or three times as much on a Browning, a Sako or a Weatherby that won't shoot noticeably better than a lot of the entry-level guns that you can pick up for a couple of hundred bucks at a chain store.

If money were truly no object, then I would just buy a Mauser 03 model with a nice selection of barrels, bolt heads and magazines.

http://www.mauser.com/Specifications.144.0.html?&L=1

Interchangeable take-down barrels and bolt heads, good looks, top quality, modern design, it's got it all.

Last edited by PVL; October 26, 2013 at 11:26 AM.

Page generated in 0.03297 seconds with 8 queries