Thread: 92FS Gun Kote
View Single Post
Old December 18, 2011, 11:23 AM   #1
cmoulton

92FS Gun Kote

Hey guys I am brand new to this forum but not a complete newb with firearms. I obtained a nice 92fs about a year ago that was a retired police weapon, so naturally it had some sexy holster wear on it that I was not digging. For about a month or so I have been thinking about refinishing it and have researched everything from duracoat to park. I finally went ahead and ordered some gun kote since it seemed to be pretty forgiving for the DIYer. The gun kote will be here tomorrow and my paint gun is in the garage anxiously waiting!

I began prep for the gun last night which included an initial degrease, complete dissasembly, media blasted, boiled in soapy water with a dash of baking soda, degreased again, baked in the oven to leech out some oil (was really surprised how much this works, wish I had pics) and will get degreased some more between tonight and tomorrow... with latex powder-less gloves of course!

I wont go over supplies since there's a thousand threads on every forum related to that but I will note that I uses 220 grit alum oxide rather than the recommended 120. The lower receiver is aluminum so figured 220 was fine for that, for the slide, barrel and other pieces I mixed in a bit of fine sand which seemed to work great. Here is a few pics of it after blasting!

Page generated in 0.03483 seconds with 8 queries