View Single Post
Old February 16, 1999, 11:22 PM   #39
Rob Pincus

Okay, buy that similar situation is not so similar because the chances of me finding my daughter when I had rounded the next corner or approached the vehicle were basically 0.0!

Furthermore, In restrospect, perhaps I would deal with a home intruder differently that some of you. IMHO, the mere act of entering my home unwelcome, at night, while I am asleep is not a two way street. Anyone who would really need to do that for any decent reason knows me well enough to call, knock very loud and then Yell their head off to let me know they are coming.

Which reminds me of another story:

case #3: a 911 hang up is recieved from a remote residence. Myself and another deputy get tot he home and see nothing wrong. The dispatcher has not been ble to get an answer ti a call back, the phone is off the hook. While walking around outside the house, trying to get someone to come to the door, we move to the side of the home, to try another door. At this point, we both have our weapons out, but low, and are using lights to look into and around the home. The other deputy was at the door and I was back by a tree about 10 yards from the house, wehn we hear a voice from the front porch asking "who's there?"

We identified ourselves as we walked towards the front of the house and I noticed a man in his underwear with an old revolver. he is waving the revolver around yelling for us to "get the hell outta here!" The guy was still not looking anywhere near us. He was an older guy and didn;t seem to be all there. I stayed behind the tree, gun low and ordered him to put the gun down. He lowered, but did not release it. He finally figured out that we were officers, and put the gun down. and I stepped out, using my own light to identify myself.
He made the comment afterwards that if he had seen guns, he'd've shot through his windows. The guy myust've had some very poor eyesight to have not noticed that we were officers, not to mention the patrol cars that were at the side of his house. If I had had a light on my gun and was using it to look into the house, the situation could've been much different. Even if no shots had been fired, Would I really have wanted to use a weapon mounted light to identify myself or my partner.. especially if he had still had the weapon in his hands? I think not.
Similarly, what if this guy had been using a weapon mounted light? That would've meant that he was pointing a gun at me to see who I was, with predictable results: BAD for everyone.

(btw, for those following the plot, the 911 call had been placed by a malfunctioning cordless phone with an "emergency" speed dial thing, the same phone was responsible for the phone being off the hook.)
-----

I just don't like this idea, at all, as you can tell. The more I think about, the less I like it, by the way. I am glad this thread is allowing me to really make up my mind on this issue.
I don't know if it really different for long guns. Most people know that a long gun is not the best thing to use to clear a house, if you have to clear it. (corners, disarming leverage, etc, etc..) Furthermore, today's semi-autos are extremely reliable and can be fired at in-house distances with one hand adequately, with a little practice.

I was going to purchase a light fixture for my utility railed guns, just for the heck of it, but I think I will pass now.

------------------
-Essayons

Page generated in 0.03518 seconds with 8 queries