View Single Post
Old October 25, 2010, 09:31 PM   #15
IXLR8

Bushnell Tactical FFP 6x24-50 mil dot is awesome

I like it so much I may buy another. .1mil adjustments. The new best scope under a $1000.00. From Dirt Cheap, but I got mine from optics planet. Be careful, there are many similar models, but the FFP 4200 rocks. May I also suggest the A.R.M.S lever mount rings, a perfect re-zero each time.

Bushnell 4200 FFP Tactical 6-24x50

More info

Range Test
The scope was placed in a set of Warne Tactical rings and attached to my MGSS (Mike’s Gun Sales and Service) DMR-10. This rifle has proven consistent so far with a couple of other optics, so it was a fair test bed. If a scope is going on a rifle that saves lives it must be rugged, reliable and consistent without regard to price, brand name or design. Working scopes get used as often as once a week and it must be repeatable. Their precision is less an issue to me so long as they do the same thing every time. Testing started with turning the knobs from one extreme to the other, everyday for an entire week. It could be as simple as a couple times, or in one case it occurred over about a 30 minute time period watching television. The scope was mounted and then zeroed.

There is no elevation in the base or rings on this rifle so it zeroed pretty close to the top of the turrets range. Once zeroed at 100 yards there was 4.5 mils of remaining elevation. That equates to about 15.5-MOA up from zero. That gets you to about 500 yards but most use at least a 20-MOA base, which would get you as far as needed with a typical .308 for sure.

Once zeroed it held consistently over a three-day testing period. In between range days the knob turning continued and the cold bore was always within a 0.50 of an inch or so, meaning any deviation could just as easily be the rifle or me. This scope seems to hold its zero even after a ton of knob turning. These knobs are easy to adjust and solid when adjusted.

The reticle was easy to see and the dots are still clearly visible at 6-power. Having used scopes at about three times the cost where it disappears at that magnification this was a nice thing to see. There are no issues ranging at any power with this reticle and at 24-power the targets are about poke your eye out. Ranging known targets out to 500, yards it was consistent and as accurate as this shooter can be with a dotted reticle. As a police marksman ranging targets at 500 yards is mostly an academic exercise so it is not a personal expertise but this system is as accurate as all but the most precise scopes.

In order to confirm the consistency of the knobs, several box drills were performed. Boxes of various sizes were performed over and over again with solid consistency. A one-mil change in elevation or windage resulted in about 3.50 inches at 100 yards given the consistency of the rifle and the guy behind it. In one case this drill was performed over two full magazines around the box and it was about as consistent as I can get it.

Last edited by IXLR8; October 25, 2010 at 09:45 PM.

Page generated in 0.03297 seconds with 8 queries