View Single Post
Old July 13, 2005, 09:22 PM   #15
ISP2605

I spent quite a few years conducting investigations into police shootings by my agency and other agencies. That's boots in the field, hands on, up close and personal investigations. There's one point which none of these studies, and none of the "experts" consider. In police shootings the police officer is always in a reaction mode. That is they have approached a situation which initially on its surface may appear to be low threat. Without warning the officer finds they are reacting to the offender's already drawn weapon or reacting after rds have already been fired in their direction. So the officer is returning fire from a point of disadvantage. It isn't like the arm chair commandos think, or far too many dream. It isn't shooting holes in paper. It isn't paintball. It isn't sims. Even force on force training with sims is nothing like the real thing. No matter how intense a paintball shooting may get you pumped it's still a paintball. You know the worst it's going to do to you is put a knot on you somewhere. And you also know that if an accident happens the RO stops the game. When the bullets are flying for real there is no knot and there is no RO timeout.
I've been shot at on 11 different occasions. From my own experiences and having talked to a good number of other officers involved in shootings there is one thing for certain. Each one is different. The way you react in one will be different than you react in another. The situations are different, your assessment of the situation is different, your environment is different.

Page generated in 0.02035 seconds with 8 queries