View Single Post
Old March 28, 2011, 05:00 PM   #14
5whiskey

Quote:
Our local street cops and deputies don't do dynamic entries, generally speaking. They get their SWAT guys to do it. If folks are doing a dynamic entry and aren't SWAT, then they likely aren't cops, regardless of what they say. They won't be coming with just 2 guys either. I realize that this isn't a perfect criterion, but then again, there is no reason for cops to be coming into my home either.
This is not always the case. I work on a smaller department, but certainly not Mayberry sized. We have around 50 sworn personel, but we hardly ever do dynamic entries with our entry team unless it's part of a pre-planned raid. If I happen to see Jo-blow with 8 felony warrants on him enter a house (which at times would even give PC for warrantless entry, depending), we're not going to call in the entry team to come take it down. The officers on the squad working will go in. Our entry or SWAT team is a volunteer team that performs that function on top of their normal duties. Some of them are on patrol, some are investigators, and other are Narcotics. It would take several hours to gather that crowd in. If it were a hostage situation, then yes. Serving a spur of the moment search or arrest warrant, no.

Just clarifying that it's probably a good idea to listen to the ordinary, plain janed, uniformed police unless you determine they are posers. Don't pay as much attention to the uniform as their actions. If the door of your house has been kicked in and people are in your house, but they've not announced themselves as Police, then you've probably got serious problems.

Page generated in 0.02511 seconds with 8 queries