Thread: Few questions
View Single Post
Old February 27, 2013, 12:30 PM   #14
redhologram

Welcome to TFL!
Definitely go visit Pax's website http://www.corneredcat.com and also I HIGHLY recommend getting her book by the same title. It is BY FAR my all time favorite, and most helpful book that stays on my nightstand.

I am going to assume your first range visit was an indoor range? Mine was too. That was the most overwhelming, loudest, stressful NOT FUN time I ever experienced with a gun in my hand. Sensory overload. Stick a fork in me, I was done!

Outdoors is where I prefer to shoot. It reduces noise, I don't feel like I am shooting from a horse stall or that someone is standing right on top of me shooting at the same time or doing who knows what. My family has 130 acres outside of town and I've been able to put together a range out there thankfully.
I do still force myself to indoor ranges just to challenge my comfort zone and ensure my proficiency in such an environment, but if you get a chance to get outdoors, definitely do it.

Recoil: Here is what I found. I am a lefty and started out shooting as a lefty. I think I was shooting a modified Isosceles. Recoil didn't bother me much in the smaller .380, but the compact 9mm rattled me all the way up my arm. The Glock 19, Gen 4, some recoil but not bad.
I soon learned being a lefty in a right handed gun world wasn't for me, so I switched and am now a cross dominant shooter. I also switched shooting methods as well. I got trained in the CAR method. (Center Axis Relock). Immediately recoil disappeared. I now actually CCW a compact 9mm.

Moving up to a 380. Definitely look for one with more weight to it. May help with the recoil.

Pistol vs Revolver - Couldn't tell you, I have never shot a revolver.

Your choice of targets - Sounds like a blast! Definitely for outside!! lol

Again, welcome to the forums. Also thank your son for his service to our country!

Page generated in 0.03632 seconds with 8 queries