View Single Post
Old June 14, 2005, 01:20 PM   #14
JDLittle

I train regularly with an Airsoft pistol (by regularly I mean 3-5 times per week). I personally think they are many levels above paintball as far as being a training tool.

1. A well made Airsoft pistol (read not a $25 spring propelled gun) will fit in your duty gear, as will the magazines. This means you can have scenarios that don't always start with your gun in your hand.

2. The controls on a well made Airsoft weapon (again, see above) work in the same manner as the real thing. My KWA Glock 19 has a working slide stop that will hold the slide open on the last round. I can then release it using the stop or by slingshoting the slide, just like my real Glock. It takes down the same way as well.

3. Using black pellets, you cannot see the rounds in flight. My pistol clocks around 300 fps. The pellets penetrate the cardboard backstop and make dents in the garage wall (wood) behind it.

4. The rounds are fairly painful if you're not wearing a whole lot of clothing. You will know when you have been hit. If you are having problems with people not taking hits, then you have people who want to play a game and not train. As they say in the tech industry, that's a management issue and not a technology issue.

5. Capacity can be controlled by loading only the number of pellets that correspond to the guns real capacity. Since the mags are the same size, extra ammo can be carried in the same manner as you would normally.

6. Accuracy is fairly good, especially in close range (say out to 25 yards or so). I can hit a small water bottle 8 out of 10 times at 25 yards with my Glock, so that should be good enough for training.

7. Rail accessories can be added just like on duty weapons. In fact, most times you can take the same accessory that you are using for your duty weapon and slap it on the Airsoft weapon.

Hope this helps.

Page generated in 0.02512 seconds with 8 queries