View Single Post
Old November 22, 2001, 05:49 PM   #8
boris_01

OK. Here goes. I'll reply to this. This happens to be my forte. No a collie will not do as a protection dog. Nor will most Rottweilers, pit bulls, Mastiffs or Dobermans. They make excellent deterants. And that is what most people only need. Most people never need an actual protection trained dog. Protection trained dogs are a large responsibility and liability. They need lots of maintenance work. They are not robots who lie dormant until given a command and then spring into action. They are dogs. You must learn to be a handler. And to know the dog and what situations you can put them into and how they will react. When asked what dogs are best for serious protection work I tell them German Shepherd dogs, Belgian Malinois and Dutch Shepherds. When asked why Rotties, pit bulls and Dobermans are not good I respond " Use what most police depts and the military use." And that are German Shepherd Dogs, Malinois and Dutch Shepherds. I know! I train them. I've trained Rotties, pit bulls, Doebermans and Mastiffs. They GENERALLY just do not have the nerve for the work. There are some exceptions. But not many. I know that you said that you are not talking about a police K9. But if you want a serious protection dog I suggest that you look into the breeds I mentioned. But I really suggest that you think about a dog as a visual detterant instead of for protection work. And do not believe the myth that any dog will naturally protect his pack or family. Contary to what others will say, this is a myth. And people will argue. But I do not have time to go into the reasons right now for what people consider being protective. And do not get a puppy expecting to protection train it. You cannot tell if a puppy will develop the traits and qualities needed for protection work. Even in the dog breeds more suited for protection work, only some of those will be suited for bite work. Check out our web site. www.lawsonK9.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg catching robie.jpg (128.4 KB, 133 views)

Page generated in 0.03081 seconds with 9 queries