Thread: .45 ACP carbine
View Single Post
Old August 21, 2009, 08:16 PM   #10
Crosshair

Quote:
WHAT PURPOSE does a.45 carbine serve ? up close a 12 gage is better,past 35 yards almost anything is better . .45 ACP is a great pistol round ,but makes litle sence in a Semi auto carbine .
I disagree. Pistol caliber carbines are very underrated. Besides, it all depends on what you are shooting.

PCCs have far lower backstop and maximum range issues. Meaning they can be used in areas where one would be wary about using a rifle.

45 ACP carbines are effective out to 100 yards at least, even farther if you know the drop. Personal anecdote, with my 45 ACP enfield, I'm effective on a chest sized target out to around 100 yards and a threat to a man sized target to 200 yards.

Pistol ammo is more available than rifle ammo. During the height of the recent shortage, pistol ammo was far more available than rifle ammo.

Ammo interchangeability. (See above.)

Large slow bullets don't damage as much meat on small game.

If you are a reloader and bullet caster, they are a dream. The brass lasts forever and you can use cheap wheel weight cast bullets. If you are loading for economy, the most expensive part of the round quickly becomes the primer. I can load 45 acp for less than $.10 per round. Shotgun slugs are expensive, heavy, and the recoil is punishing for many shooters.

Once fired 9mm, 40 S&W, and 45 auto brass is dirt cheap and readily available. Giving a strong advantage to the 45 PCC vs the 44 Mag PCC if one reloads. If you don't cast yourself, cast or plated bullets are still much cheaper, and more available, than jacketed rifle bullets.

For those of us who can own suppressors, a round that is subsonic without requiring barrel porting or handloading is a definite plus.
Quote:
it's only heavy when you're not shooting it.
Agreed. That's the thought I have with my Semi-auto KP-31. Heavy bugger when you aren't shooting it. Just the right weight when you are.

Page generated in 0.02749 seconds with 8 queries