View Single Post
Old June 28, 2010, 05:34 PM   #14
handlerer2

I would keep the Vanguard and the MDL 12. I have owned a few MDL 700's in the past and they are fine for what they are, but IMO come up a little short compared with the Vanguard. I own a Vanguard in 300WBY, and a MKV in 340WBY. The Vanguard was purchased on impulse a Scheel's. When I saw the factory target I knew this was a real shooter. The factory target is <.7". This not a submoa version. I reload and with no changes I get groups right at or just under 1". I am a firm believer in solid everything on a magnum rifle, and the washered recoil lug on the Rem and Savages detracts from their appeal to me. Both the Weatherby's are more accurate and totally solid, the MKV, a late 60's version, made by Saur and sons, is a work of art. The Savage is an ingenius concept. It has an excellent barrel and a good trigger, I hope, I'm not real familiar with the 12, but was very impressed with the accuracy of my managers Savages. The finish on some Savages I have handled in the stores is not always impressive. The triggers on the Vanguards, at least on mine, 4 years old, are kind of creepy, but I tend to accommodate triggers as they come. I have been considering a Timney. Good luck on your decision.

Page generated in 0.03272 seconds with 8 queries