View Single Post
Old November 27, 2008, 11:30 PM   #5
perazzimx14

If you go to trapshooter.com, on the home page there is a reloading calculator. Plug in your costs and it will give you a price per load.

To get the best deals forget Gander Mountain, Cabelas and the like for components. They habitually are very expensive.

If you are going to get into reloading think bulk. To make reloading remotely feasable you are going to want to buy powder in at least 8lb kegs, wads by the case (5000), primers by the case (5000) and shot several hundred lbs at a time. Then you have to decide on a press they range from $100.00 to $2500.00.

My wife and I both shoot a fair amount of trap. On average we go through 30,000 to 40,000 rounds per year. I found out that the time I spent reloading didn't offset the additional cost of factory shells. I now buy shell by the pallet (Federal Top Gun and/or Estates). Fortunaty either of these shell perform well for what we do.

The advantage to reloading is you can taylor loads to your needs (as long as you follow established reload data). If my daughter wants to shoot trap when she get a little older I will mostly start to reload for her. That way I can taylor a light recoiling shell for her. But for the wife and I it is factory shell from here on out.

If you are shooting clay targets or dove and are shooting anything less than a couple thousand shell per year, buy factory. It will save you in the long run.

Page generated in 0.02427 seconds with 8 queries