View Single Post
Old August 19, 2008, 05:19 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

It is a bore finishing system. It isn't fire or pressure lapping, though, meaning it isn't designed to correct constrictions or other significant dimensional errors as the better lapping methods do. The only complaint I've heard about it was a fellow complaining it had ruined a Marlin Micro-groove barrel. Micro-groove barrels are not something I would put an abrasive to without have a borescope to keep a constant eye on the throat.

I use the NECO pressure lapping kit. A simpler system that also produces good results is sold by Beartooth Bullets. Avoid the Wheeler kit. It's starting abrasive is too coarse and the instructions illustrate an improperly fire lapped barrel and claim it is properly done. They clearly were trying to get on the firelapping/pressure lapping bandwagon without understanding what they were doing.

Whether you use firelapping or, if your bore is good dimensionally, the Final Finish system, you will find fouling is reduced and the gun is easier to clean. Whether you garner benefits for accuracy or not depends on the condition of bore and throat you start with.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle

Page generated in 0.03191 seconds with 8 queries