Thread: Gun Cleaning
View Single Post
Old March 15, 2013, 01:49 PM   #26
abherbitter

Bob Wright:
Quote:
As to the detrimental use of steel bore brushes, there are many who hold that belief, not that it was stated nor implied in this thread. I was just heading off what I believed to be forthcoming critism.
Firstly, thanks for the clarification on terms. I have a few pieces of old, 100% cotton white T-shirt that I've cut up for use as rags in my cleaning kit and I use an undersized jag (apparently, as I never knew it was called that!) to get them started through the barrel.

I'll make that criticism of steel bore brushes. I work in the steel industry and without knowing all the specific grades of steel used in the brushes I can't say anything definitively but the grades of steel typically used in the barrels are ASA4140, 4150, or 4350. Hardnesses typicaly 185-200HB. If the brushes are made out of something like 440C stainless steel, that has a hardness of 269HB and if you run a harder steel on a softer steel you ARE going to ware the softer steel.

Page generated in 0.01918 seconds with 8 queries