View Single Post
Old September 3, 2009, 07:53 AM   #1
Glockar-15

Doorbell rang after 1am in the morning...

I'd like to discuss my actions and perhaps hear of some options I may have overlooked.

I was dead asleep in our upstairs bedroom when I half made out the doorbell. My wife immediately says "Someone is at the door!". She is pregnant and has trouble sleeping as of late. I ask her if she's sure it was the doorbell and she says "absolutely".

My first step was to roll out of my bed and access my Gunvault handgun safe which is concealed next to my bedside. I grab my Glock 19 which is loaded but with an empty chamber. (I know this is a controversial subject and many will say to keep one in the pipe, but I also have a 3 years old, and I prefer not to take that chance) I look out my bedroom window to the driveway to see if I can see someone at the door. If I saw a police car or someone's car I recognize, I would then lock up my pistol again before heading downstairs. I see nothing. I told my wife to get the phone and go into our son's bedroom while I looked out different windows from upstairs checking the side and back of the house...nothing. We have designated our master bathroom as the saferoom, but at that point I didn't feel threatened enough to have them move into there.

In my mind I figure it's 1 of 2 things...a kid playing ring and run (it was a weeknight), or a criminal checking to see if we're home before attempting a break in. *We have one of the nicer homes in our area and I think we'd be a likely target. There have been more and more break in in our area as of late too. I flip on some outside lights and head downstairs with the inside lights still off. Taking my time, I search the downstairs and all was fine. Nothing outside and nothing inside. All doors are still locked and windows are fine. Still unsure, I kept the Glock at hand and stayed up another hour before heading back to bed.

One thing I did not do initially was to grab my flashlight. My son discovered its location next to my bed and loves to play with it, so it was not there when I needed it. I will address this issue for next time. While going through the house I did find it, but much later on.

What could I have done better? Should I have called the police to be sure? Were my actions overkill?

Thanks for the input!

Page generated in 0.02771 seconds with 8 queries