View Single Post
Old June 10, 2005, 06:46 PM   #4
Paul B.

I haven't done any chronographing yet with those loads, and accuracy has been so-so. I've used the RCBS #35-200-FN bullet as well and it's been a bit of a dog for me in both the .358 Win. and .35 Whelen.
There used to be an article on the Whelen on sixgunner.com by Paco Kelly that will open up your eyes. He did some work with H-335 that is downright scary. I've worked up to his data in all three rifles, and while they appear safe in my guns, they are hotter than the hinges of hell. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to call up that article for some time now. When Sixgunner revamped, it got lost. I did cheat and print out a copy. I'm kind of agreeing with him the both the .358 Win. and .35 Whelen may not be loaded to their full potential.
Another mold I'm looking at is one by NEI that weighs about 290 gr. That should be one helluva thumper. I think I'll need a faster twist barrel for that one though. I've got two more whelens in the planning stage, another Mauser with 1 in 12" twist and a Ruger #1, also with the 12" twist rate.
Your rifle has a 1 in 16" twst, as does my M700 and Ruger 77. Theoretically, those 200 gr. bullets should do about 2.0" anyway. I don't think I'd try to push them more than about 2000 FPS. Your bore diameter should be .358". I hope those bullets are at least .359" and preferably .360" in diameter. At .358", they just might lead badly.
I haven't done any shooting in almost three month due to cancer surgery, but I'm hoping to start back up in about two more weeks. Got to get toughened back up for the upcoming fall hunts.
Paul B.

Page generated in 0.04138 seconds with 8 queries