Thread: Wis.wolf fee
View Single Post
Old August 2, 2012, 11:09 AM   #21
Hansam

You see Chuckee there's something involved with being a sportsman called being ethical.

There's not only lawful and unlawful but there's also being ethical and unethical. I consider myself an ethical sportsman. If I shoot a wolf I'm going to call the local warden and let him/her know. I am of the belief that the warden, being a logical and ethical person, will understand the situation I'm in and act accordingly. The friends I have had that HAVE shot wolves either due to self defense or defense of their property (dogs while hunting) have called and "told on themselves". They did not receive a ticket or have their firearms taken away. Instead they were asked a bunch of questions regarding their reasoning for having shot the wolf and the actual circumstances surrounding it. If there were witnesses they took statements from them as well and that was it. No tickets, no charges and definitely no confiscation of firearms.

I was involved in a bear shooting while hunting several years ago. I was walking back to camp and witnessed a black bear charge a hunting companion as he was cooking lunch. We called the DNR, a warden came out, and we all gave testimonies as to what we saw. The warden took the carcass and left. Again no tickets, no charges and no confiscation of firearms.

I'd actually like to know who you spoke to Chuckee, as in which warden. What county are you in and which warden did you speak with regarding these issues? There are only two in each county (unless the DNR somehow came across some money and they could hire more wardens) so they shouldn't be so hard to remember. I have the business cards of every warden in the areas I frequently hunt in my wallet... that amounts to 8 because there's 4 counties I hunt in primarily. Likewise though I'll call my local warden and ask him regarding having to shoot a wolf that is endangering say... my hunting dog.

In any case back to my point at hand - there's ethics involved. Frankly I believe that if people can't be ethical while hunting then those people have no place out there hunting. Ethics is the only thing which separates us as sportsmen from the barbarians that the antis want to paint us as.

Bailey Boat, as I've said before, I would have shot the wolf too. My dog cost me $1,000 as a puppy and after training it would not be unreasonable to say that the dog is a $4500 investment in my hunting past time. I won't let wolf destroy that investment just because its a)hungry or b)defending its territory. The only difference is that I'd call the DNR once the shooting was over and let them know what had happened. I believe that if you're an honest, law abiding and ethical sportsman you can "tell on yourself" and still come out on top. I won't expound on my thoughts and opinions about people who are unethical in their methods.

Page generated in 0.03796 seconds with 8 queries