View Single Post
Old July 8, 2005, 12:54 PM   #51
zeisloft

I'm not sure if this has been beat to death yet or not but heres my $.02.
Sometimes we hunt for sport, sometimes for meat, somedays we may want to lay up on a hill top and and make that 500yd long shot. Sometimes I miss, sometimes I dont, but on those days I bring the 300 WM, shooting pad, bipod, and the standard range gear. This is shooting at live targets, not hunting.

There are times when you need a broad sword and times to use a scalple. I enjoy both. I mainly hunt hogs with a 22Hornet, 222, and 22-250. However, on the hip is the big iron. 44 loaded to the hilt with the big 300 grainers. As for the 45, good if you can get them to stay broadside, but angry hogs dont stay broadside. We have bounced some 45s off the scull of some big hogs, after skinning the skulls (for educational purposes) we found the bullets only cut tiny furrows. Head on is a poor angle of attack with a 45 and a 300#+ hog. And yes, light guns will bring them down, it may take a few shots if the first one isnt at the base of the ear. One night a friend and I were sittin up for them on a hill (me 22 Hornet him 22-250) and a big feller came out at ~ 175 yd. Took 4 shots from the 250 and 4 from the Hornet and alot of running on our part but he finally fell to a Hornet in the skull at about 15yds.

Then there are the thick brush runnin and gunnin hunts, Salt marsh, yaupon brush, mesqete, or river bottons. For this I like the 44, a good hot 357 (my load uses 35 Wheelen stitzer bullets seated in 38 spec cases runnin hot out of a Smith 686) and 870 Express mag #2 buck and a partner. These hunts start as a stalk and end with alot of heavy breathin. One note ESTABLISH LANES OF FIRE and do this well before it starts to get western.

As for the 300 WM for hogs, it works. As to getting a new gun for the purpose of hog hunting, get it if you want one. Heck, I wanted a .308 for hog huntin, got a 7-08 instead. I still want a .308. If you need a reason to buy a new gun...well its friday, go buy a new gun.

Page generated in 0.03610 seconds with 8 queries