View Single Post
Old December 5, 2002, 06:36 PM   #1
Denny Hansen
Staff Emeritus

Gunsite Three-Day Carbine

I attended the 3-day carbine class (223/3) at Gunsite this last weekend. I enjoy attending basic schools almost as much as I do the "advanced" classes as it’s a good place to brush up on the basics—and the fundamentals is what makes for good shooters.

The RM for the class was Gunsite Adjunct Instructor Larry Landers. I’ve know Larry since he was a young guy still working narcotics with the Arizona DPS. Good shooter, good instructor, and all-around good guy.

We covered more in three short days than I would have thought possible. Did a lot of position shooting, close-in drills, distance shooting (out to 300 yards) and several indoor and outdoor simulators. I picked up a few more techniques for the ‘ol tactical toolbox including the carbine roll-over and SBU (Special Boat Unit) prone positions.

Did I mention fundamentals? Larry picked up that I was not resetting the trigger on my AR during follow-through—a bad habit developed through solo practice.

Overall I suppose I did OK. Heard third hand that Colonel Young said, "Denny shoots pretty good for an old blind guy with iron sights."

I highly recommend the two and three day classes at Gunsite for anyone who might be a little short of either the time or cash the week-long classes requires.

Denny

Page generated in 0.05534 seconds with 8 queries