View Single Post
Old November 9, 2012, 10:26 AM   #10
ROGER4314

In my past, I was obsessive about accuracy and weighed bullets, sorted and hand selected bullets, weighed powder charges and a host of other accuracy improving techniques. Then I Ransom rest tested the rounds and chronographed them. Sigh....what a waste of time! Now, I spend my time shooting and I don't sweat the small stuff at pistol distances of 50 feet or so. While I'm at this, using "match" bullets at 50 feet is a waste of time and money.

The biggest single factor in pistol shooting at pistol distances is YOU. Work on YOU.

In High Power rifle matches at 200 yards, those techniques are also unnecessary. I've competed in NRA matches for 7 years, fired military ball ammo and done very well with it at 200.

After 200 yards things change a lot. I shot many 600 yard service rifle matches and it's all about bullets and keeping them supersonic at 600. I never fired beyond 600 but I understand it's even more critical to work those tiny inconsistencies to a minimum. That's where these accuracy improving techniques really pay off.

Pistol shooting is largely mental. If fretting over the quality of your ammo improves your self confidence, then have at it. From actual testing, those efforts have a minimal payback.

Flash

Page generated in 0.03117 seconds with 8 queries