View Single Post
Old October 24, 2006, 04:23 PM   #2
saands

Start saving brass NOW!

You can load bolt-action quantities of rifle cartridges easily and well on a VERY inexpensive one-stage system. IF and only IF you count your time as free, you will be able to save money pretty quickly with a simple Lee system. If time is money for you, then drop the whole idea and keep buying your ammo from the factory. I don't own a 270, but I imagine that it isn't the cheapest round out there, so your payback will be pretty fast. If you can get reasonably priced powder (at a show or by ordering in bulk online - maybe with a friend?) then you should be able to save 50% on your ammo without skimping on components at ALL. Check out a place like gibrass.com for mil-surp pulldown powders ... one shipment might well last you a lifetime, but your reloading cost will drop REALLY fast. If you are paying $20 a box, then every box you shoot will put $10 towards paying off your equipnment ... 300-400 rounds later it will be a wash and forever after that you will be shooting for half the price. From Lee, I would take the press, the dies, the priming tool (the handheld, NOT the press mounted one!) and even the powder measure (as imperfect as it is, IMHO it is adequate for most rifle reloading). I wouldn't go with their scale, though ... the RCBS is MUCH better and only marginally more expensive. Read the 100's of posts on Lee stuff ... my experience is that if it has very few parts, you can't beat a LEE for value ... once it gets mechanically complicated, then all bets are off.

Saands

Page generated in 0.03360 seconds with 8 queries