View Single Post
Old May 20, 2001, 06:53 PM   #40
Oregon Dave

Controlled Environments vs. Reality

Spartacus-

My first post here. A good thread to contribute to.

I think that your judgements about "reality fighting" are a bit harsh. Most serious martial artists understand that the "UFC" as you will, is intended to be an enclosed environment, containing basic rules of sportmanship.

The UFC fighters, especially as of late, may do extremly well against single attackers on the street, because of rock solid technique, but I believe their weakness lies in training singularly around defeating single opponents in an arena that is still based on "rules". Basically, no unintended, unknown variables.

Strategy on this (UFC/etc) level of individual combat is limited to techniques that will not immediately kill or main your opponent, and are executed with an amount of control that allow the opponent to submit if need be.

These rules of sportman ship are not offered in real life or death situations.

No eye gouging, no groin strikes, no fish hooking, no kicks while on the ground, imposed time limits, no multiple attackers, no weapons, no fellows wearing boots trying to kick your ribs in while 2 other guys hold you.

I don't see the absense of these variables taking away from the combat skills of the participants. The individual combat skills are an important aspect to any fighter, and when you add in the "reality" of fighting, which includes groin shots, using your environment as a weapon, etc, I think that most of them would make rather good partners to have in time of trouble.

I think that the main problem that most martial artists have, is not training for reality often enough. They get constipated within forms, and the "nice" part of the art, and don't practice enough groin kicks, throat strikes, and eye gouges. If you don't practice these everyday, you won't execute them when it counts. You'll throw a strike, a kick, or shoot for a takedown, and the brawler will kick you in the nuts, chop you in the throat, or kick your knee out.

Personally, when showing my wife targets, and ways to hit them, the 3 main targets I show her, are 1: groin 2: eyes 3: throat

I'm a firm believer that the superior strategist wins no matter what the environment. This has been seen in the earlier UFC by the gracies. Given the set rules, Brazillian Jiu Jitsu contained superior strategy then the other martial artists that entered the contest. If they had been better prepared, they would have realized that their styles were none-effective on the ground. Where Royce Gracies was able to capitalize upon their weakness.

GUNS:

Most of the guys that I work out with are pro-gun. Some hunt, some are Law Enforcement, some are corrections officers, some are just regular joes like you and I. There are some that like guns that don't like hunting, and there are some that just don't like guns.

It is my personal opinion that in order to call yourself a martial artist, weapong familiarity is a must. These guys that get into the "arts" and then say that weapons take the purity out of it, are living in a fantasy world, and have not done to much reading of the history around martial art and culture.

I think that if you are going to familiarize yourself with weapons, you should be familiar with as many different weapons available. Some martial artists say that a gun is just "to easy", and that "anyone can shoot someone".

They fail to see that there is an "art" to shooting. My father spent half is lifetime learning the art of shooting, and today, he is an inspiration to me, and I aspire to his skill level. His casual, offhand, hand in the pocket stance, always blows my mind. (He is almost 70)

This "art" is just delicate as the art within sword drawing, or the arts of bare handed combat. Just as an unskilled person with a sword can take 20 hacks at a small tree with a katana of quality, the skilled iaido-man will complete the cut as he draws his weapon. In one smooth action. Truly an art if I ever saw one. It is easy to see the parallel between the skilled marksman and the expert swordsman.

Breath control, relaxation, firm steady grip. These are synonomous in both disciplines.

I urge any of you reading this, to talk to your fellow martial artists that "don't like" guns. Express to them the discipline of it, the art, the skill. Shooting contains all the fundamentals of all of the other arts of japan and china combined. Maybe then they will realize that it is not the art of shooting that they don't like, but the "Feelings" that guns give them, based upon an impression they have recieved by the media.

I've said much, I'll retire now. Hope you all enjoyed my first post and all, hope I didn't offend anyone.

Kindest Regards,

Dave in Oregon

PS- i'm a student of gung-fu, brazillian jiu jitsu, and judo. (7 yrs)

PPS- for semi-full-contact stick fighting fun try - http://www.dogbrothers.com/

These guys are nuts.

Page generated in 0.03117 seconds with 8 queries