Thread: Maroszek
View Single Post
Old November 12, 2013, 10:14 PM   #1
James K
Member In Memoriam

Maroszek

Has anyone here ever seen a Maroszek rifle? I had never heard of it, but one has made news lately. The rifle was developed in the 1930's in Poland and only a few were ever made before the Nazis invaded the country.

A Google search turned up a fair amount of information, but I confess I had never heard of it. It has been in the news because one of the handful of remaining examples had been owned by a Fredericksburg, VA, gun collector named Kristopher Gasior. He advertised it for sale on the Internet and Polish officials saw the ad. Since it was of allied origin, they claimed that, like those paintings the Germans stole, it should be returned to Poland, and asked the U.S. to assist them in reclaiming it. The U.S. government acted in its usual reasonable and diplomatic manner - they sent a SWAT team to raid the house, terrify the man's family and seize the gun.

Anyway, the issue has been settled, according to today's paper; Poland will pay Gasior $25,000 and put the gun in their national museum.

Apparently, Poland has no plans to have the administration send agents to seize the tens of thousands of Radom pistols brought back by Americans in WWII. Googling the name will turn up information on it.

Jim

Page generated in 0.03521 seconds with 8 queries