View Single Post
Old July 6, 2013, 09:48 AM   #9
Theohazard

The trust technically owns the suppressor and you (along with anyone else you designate) control the trust. A trust is usually used when people can't get a law enforcement sign-off, but it offers some other advantages as well.

The sign-off process is as follows: purchase the suppressor through your dealer, fill out some paperwork, take the paperwork and get photoed, fingerprinted, and signed off by local law enforcement, and mail the paperwork along with a $200 to the BATFE. In about six months your dealer will receive the paperwork back with a tax stamp affixed and they'll call you to come pick up your suppressor and your tax stamp. This tax stamp paperwork is what allows you to own the suppressor and it's a good idea to keep a copy of it with the suppressor at all times.

However, this process only works if your local law enforcement will sign off. If they won't (like in my neck of the woods), then you need to purchase the suppressor through a revocable trust. In many ways the trust is superior; it doesn't require a sign-off or photos or fingerprints and it allows more than one person to be on it, meaning more than one person can possess the NFA item. Also, you can designate a person to receive your suppressors upon the event of your death. On my NFA trust I am the settlor, I am the first trustee, my wife is the second trustee, and my father-in-law will receive my suppressors in the event that both my wife and I die.

Without a trust, you are the only person who can possess the suppressor; if your wife has access to your suppressor safe and you're not home, you're both breaking federal law. Also, without a trust the government gets your suppressors when you die.

Page generated in 0.02871 seconds with 8 queries