View Single Post
Old April 18, 2013, 09:00 AM   #383
JimDandy

Quote:
I just think your driver’s license or state-issued ID card should be your proof of gun ownership. If you’re a criminal, especially at local levels, your tagged and it should show on your driver’s license. If for any reason you lost your right to own a firearm due to charged criminal activity, the burden should be on you to clear it up and remove that restrictive symbol on your ID card. I would suspect that 97-98% of the population could legally own or purchase firearms; why burden them for the 1-2% of the population? Burden that 1-2%...
How will you deal with forged licenses? This is the same problem one has using CCW's, certificates you print off the internet, and so on.

How about the guy who becomes a prohibited person, but doesn't lose their license? For possibly more than 4 years, they can have a "good" license but still be prohibited.

The best alternative I've seen is the certificate idea, IF you let me tack on to it. The buyer goes online to the FBI, gets a certificate with an authorization number. Go to the seller. Seller calls 1-800-GET-NICS or something similar- reads authorization number, and basic ID info(but not SSN or PII beyond name/address type stuff.) as on 4473 form, height, weight, ethnicity, & name (Also checked vs ID) This lets you verify the guy holding the certificate is the guy who is on the certificate, AND lets you make sure the certificate isn't photoshopped.

Quote:
I would suspect that 97-98% of the population could legally own or purchase firearms; why burden them for the 1-2% of the population? Burden that 1-2%...
I think you'd be surprised- 2.5% of the voting public were disenfranchised in a 2010 study. And we all know getting voting rights back is a WHOLE lot easier than firearms rights. The reason I make that point, is that most states return the franchise the moment your sentence is over. Those states that didn't showed between 5 to 10 times as many felons were "released" than incarcerated, so the firearms rights- JUST for felonies would easily be closer to 5% Tack on misdemeanor DV, and it could go even higher.. According to NICS, felons are the THIRD most populous category- falling behind Illegal aliens, and the mentally deficient.

Page generated in 0.02843 seconds with 8 queries