View Single Post
Old August 28, 2013, 04:48 PM   #15
Paul B.

Quote:
"I get very nice accuracy with the Rem 250 grainers. Out of my Ruger Hawkeye I average 1.25 inch groups. I've had even smaller groups when I'm really on my game at the bench. Didn't take a lot of tweaking with the rifle either. I think I just got lucky on that one as most Rugers I'm familiar with aren't that good without some work.

I figure I'm doing real well for a 35 Whelen, since it is primarily an elk shooter for timber and semi open country.

BTW.....for Whelen shooters...... The 200 grain Hornady Superformance factory load is the real deal. An honest chronographed 2875 from 22 in barrel with very low SD. Accuracy (in my experience) is outstanding. This baby makes the Whelen a 300 yd. round with ease."
My pet load in my custom Mauser is 60.4 gr. of Reloder 15 with the 225 gr. Barnes TSX bullet exiting the muzzle of the 24" barrel at 2710 FPS. CAUTION: Above max in any book. I recommend starting a full 3.0 gr. below that and working up. The load proved to be too ht in my Remington M700 Classic and I have yet to try it in my Ruge M77RS. FWIW, I dropped my cow elk this year at 350 yards as estimated by my guide and my hunting partner. With a proper load, the .35 Whelen is more than a short to moderate range cartridge.
I've been playing a bit with the 225 gr. Nosler Accubond and 225 gr. Partition in the Mauser and reached the Nosler book max load without problem. That load is 59.0 r. of Re15.
Accuracy with the TSX has run from .50" to .75" from the bench. Th two Nosler bullets so far have been 1.50" with the Accubond and 1.25" with the Partiton. Using H335 and the 250 gr. Speer Hot Core, and 250 gr. Hornady Spire Point and round nose bullets, Paco Kelly's load of 53.0 gr. has proven to be safe in all three of my rifles, reasonbly accurate all in the 1.25 average range. Velocity's in the 2550 to 2570 FPS range.
If you get the idea I'm a big fan of the .35 WEhelen, you'd be absolutely right.
Paul B.

Last edited by Brian Pfleuger; August 29, 2013 at 04:11 PM.

Page generated in 0.03713 seconds with 8 queries