Thread: Mental Training
View Single Post
Old November 23, 2011, 09:52 AM   #1
8MM Mauser

Mental Training

Ok, since this is training related I'm assuming this is the right forum.
I have recently started shooting a rifle that I have owned a couple years, it's a sporterized Mauser my grandfather assembled for me.

When shooting at "things" like a can, or a bottle, I can easily nail them about 99% of the time; last time I was at the range, I hit 39 out of 40 "objects" at 100 yards. In fact, I even managed to hit a spent shotgun shell, which is a very small target, on my first try at 100 yards.

The problem is that when I have an actual target in front of me, by which I mean, a piece of paper with rings and a bullseye, I can't group for squat. I'll land one in the bullseye and the next seven inches high, the next three inches left...ect. My average group in 100 shots is about 6 inches. This is all at 100 yards BTW.

Now, I think I know why this happens to me, when shooting at an object I tend to shoot instinctively, I've blown away many many cans and small critters with a .22LR in the past after all, and it feels natural; but when I shoot for pure accuracy (on the target), not effect (on an object/animal) I sort of get psyched out right before I take my shot. I can tell; for about 1/2 a second I try and imagine where I will hit and try and control every muscle in my body, I get hyper focused on what my finger is doing...

I feel like I'm over doing it I guess; and what I'm here to ask is for advice on training myself mentally to NOT get psyched out when about to shoot. I already to target acquisition dry fire drills between range sessions, and I try to envision everything... So I'm putting it out there, what do you think my problem is? Has anyone else every had this sort of issue?

Thank for your advice and anecdotes in advance; I always love to hear the wisdom of more experienced shooters.

Page generated in 0.03540 seconds with 8 queries