View Single Post
Old November 21, 2011, 03:08 PM   #14
BlueTrain

I'm afraid that I don't have much additional information to offier but it's a fascinating subject. I did discover, however, that the Boston Police Department marked some firearms "M.P.C.," for Metropolitan Police Commission, although I highly doubt that such marking were used consistently over the entire period since they first had a police department. I also noticed that some police departments used a suffix indicating the number within the department (like a rack number). Some even had precinct numbers added.

A Colt Commando revolver manufactured in 1942, still on issue in 1969, was marked "USN" (no periods) on the butt. Many revolvers and other firearms were marked U.S. Property, usually on the butt strap in the case of revolvers. That also made a good place for an owners name, too.

American made revolvers issued to European agencies, as many were after the war, are often literally covered with stampings, either proof marks (especially if they had British service) and additional property stamps. Some handguns can be found with the markings of corporations. All of this does make the guns a little more interesting.
Buy War Bonds.

Page generated in 0.02519 seconds with 8 queries