View Single Post
Old October 30, 1999, 03:10 PM   #4
Beano

Shotguns are far better for home defense especially when specifically loade for defense i.e. bb's or buckshot

Agree completely with Dave McC that you must be comfortable shooting shotguns and must LIKE shooting them.

There is no need to be afraid of a shotguns recoil. If you know how to use them, you will hardly notice it. The key is to grip the shotgum firmly, have it snug in your shoulder with your cheek firmly on the stock. Learn to do this correctly and you'll be ok. Its called mounting and you must learn to mount correctly and consistently.

Pump action shotguns are recommended for home defense as they are as reliable as is possible. They hardly malfunction.

Recoil from a twelve guage pump and a twenty guage pump can often be very similar. Depends on weight differences in the gun and in the shot load. Therefore, use the twelve.

The Remingto 870 marine grade is my favourite and I like it with a full stock, shortest multichoke barrel possible with the longest magazine extension for the selected barrel. I do not like the pistol grips as they are difficult to control and unless you are a real expert, difficult to shoot where you are looking without breaking your wrist.

If you can try this gun do so. If recoil is still your problem, consider a semi-automatic, gas operated, model. There are models with virtually no recoil. However there are some issues that you need to consider. They are not as reliable as pumps and you cannot put pistol grips on them. They need to be shot more often and cleaned more often just to make sure they are working properly. Their operation is slightly different to a pump, they load differently, etc.

Thats a lot of stuff to digest. The moral of the story is, find out where you can learn to shoot a shotgun. Learn technique and learn to like shotguns. When you buy a shotgun, learn to operate it properly. Loading and shooting it must be second nature.

Page generated in 0.02111 seconds with 8 queries