Thread: Downsizing
View Single Post
Old July 18, 2013, 12:15 AM   #1
azmark

Downsizing

I want a smaller, lighter weight handgun with rattlesnakes in mind. Elbow and tendon problems have me looking for a small, light handgun with a light trigger pull to eliminate problem rattlers and do a little fun shooting, too.

I like the idea of a Bond Arms derringer. The idea of a .410 is interesting both because effectiveness against pesky varmints and the practical matter of ammo availability. It's easy to find, there are some pretty light loads out there, and it's actually cheaper than almost all the handgun ammo I'm seeing these days. The recoil is not such an issue with my bum elbow as much as holding up front end weight and squeezing a trigger. They also come in .38 which is a good shot shell caliber that has worked for me.

The derringer is pretty short, fairly light for a solid stainless gun, and single action. A Smith 637 might work well but I've never fired one so I don't know the trigger; same with the Bond. I already have a little .38 ammo including some CCI snake shot.

I thought about rimfires, but shot shells are hard to find, a tad weak also in 22lr. 22mag would work well but I have no ammo and no way I'm paying the inflated prices if I can even find any. Hard to believe .410 is cheaper than 22, huh?

My 1911 works well with shot shells but is still a tad uncomfortable because it's a bit front heavy.

Those are my thoughts, brothers, what are yours?

Page generated in 0.05413 seconds with 8 queries