View Single Post
Old September 3, 2006, 10:14 AM   #12
John 242

Quote:
In a defensive situation, trigger pull doesn't mean diddely squat.

Light or heavy will not affect your speed of pulling the trigger. The adrenalin pumping through your brain will overcome the difference between 3 pounds or 7 pounds without your even noticing.
Isn’t a short and light (4 lbs. or so) trigger pull helpful in achieving accurate hits? Wouldn’t a 12 lb pull make it hard, or harder to achieve accurate shot placement as the distance to the target (bad-guy, whatever) increases? In addition, if only a portion of the BG is exposed (part of his head, and firing hand for example) wouldn’t a heavier trigger pull make it harder to hit a smaller target as compared to a shorter, lighter pull?

You mention triggers in the 3-7 lb range, but I am talking about a your typical 4-5 lb. factory 1911 pull versus a long DA (or heavy striker fired DA onlys) with a pull of say 10-12 lbs.

It seems to me that different shooting conditions require different engagement techniques. A close in target for example would get what I call a ‘snap shot’. As the difficulty of the shot increases, so does the amount of care used in squeezing the trigger and sight alignment. Granted, with adrenalin making your heart pound and your knees wobble, it will be harder to achieve the same amount of accuracy as on a peaceful range, but when a shooter must make a difficult shot, wouldn’t he or she apply the same skill sets that were learned on a range? Specifically, sight alignment and trigger squeeze? Wouldn’t a lighter pull facilitate easier target engagement for difficult shots? Please correct me if I am wrong.

Page generated in 0.03704 seconds with 8 queries