View Single Post
Old July 10, 2013, 07:02 AM   #5
Magnum Wheel Man

one of the scopes I've been looking at is a Leupold VX-3... on this model, they at least use a couple "buzz words" that sound like they are trying to insure good repeatability...

Quote:
The precision twin spring erector has cryogenically treated adjustments to provide the utmost precision and 30 percent more holding force to ensure reliability.
In reality, I think I'd be happy with a fine plex, or target dot, that would run boxes all day long ... in my research, it sounds like some cheaper scopes start out fine, but the materials they use, don't hold up to heavy use, so they might "box" the 1st couple times out, but either not hold up to lots of adjustments, or to heavy recoiling rifles... the 1st rifle I'm hoping to upgrade on, is an older Remington 700 in 22-250, the next is a custom rifle in 25-06, 3rd is another Rem 700 in 30-06... right now I'm happy with the scopes on anything heavier than 30-06... though I have not finished my custom long range 6.5 X 284, it's close to ready for a scope, but on that rifle, I'll be looking for the best I can afford, & my budget will be bigger, as I have more expectations there... so to start with... the 22-250 shouldn't be too hard on the scope, as far as recoil, but I expect to be adjusting for wind & distance a lot... I also have to admit, I have not "wrung out" some of the scopes that "I think I'm happy with" like a Redfield 4-12 I have on my 17 Fireball, or my Burris 2-10 on my fast twist 22 Hornet... both of which are pleasant rifles to take out & casually shoot off the bench

BTW... JIM... where did you find the recommendation to over travel & bring back the adjustment ??? it makes sense from my little machining experience, I've just never seen the recommendation in print... ( of course the snipers never do that in the movies either )

Last edited by Magnum Wheel Man; July 10, 2013 at 07:11 AM.

Page generated in 0.02183 seconds with 8 queries