View Single Post
Old July 8, 2013, 04:59 PM   #14
Doc Intrepid

Size matters...

Whatever rounds your friend wants to hunt with, he should plan on some range work first.

A few years back I took my R-25 .308 to a local range for some pre-elk hunt sighting in. I had 4 different loads.

Two were lighter, Federal and Winchester, 155 grain and 145 grain loads, and two loads were both 185 gr lead SP bullets, one was a Winchester and I don't recall the 2nd brand.

But the point was that I started with the 2 lighter loads and got the rifle dialed in. It was already pretty well sighted in from previous range sessions with FMJ military rounds.

Then I switched to the 185 grain bullets - because those were what I intended to use for elk.

I couldn't get the rifle dialed in to save my butt. If memory serves me well, I think the smallest group was at least 5" with the heavier bullets.

My R-25 shoots like a dream with lighter bullets, in between 145-165 grain bullets. In contrast, it does not shoot heavier bullets anywhere near as well.

This may be just my rifle, I don't know - but it occurred on the same range, same day/weather, same rifle off sandbags, etc. - with two different brands of 185 grain ammunition.

My takeaway is that some rifles like some ammo more than other ammo, and your friend would be well advised to hit the range with 3 or 4 different types of hunting rounds to see which ones shoot the best in his semi-auto .308.

Just MHO. YMMV.

Page generated in 0.03590 seconds with 8 queries