View Single Post
Old February 1, 2010, 12:33 PM   #2512
FlyFish

Quote:
My father-in-law has a little Smith that belonged to his first wife, and he is wanting me to find out some information on it. When you open the cylinder it has a 66 on the yoke, I assume this is the model number. It is a very short barreled 38 with the shrouded hammer. Also on the inside of the frame there is the number 377xx. I don't know if that is the serial number or if it is another number I found on the outside. The number on the outside is 91J3xx. I would say the gun is in at least 90% condition and has not been abused, it has a blued finish with wood grips. What is a ballpark value on it? Thanks in advance for your help.
JTPinTX: The Model 66 is a stainless .357 magnum, so that's not what your FIL has. The numbers inside the frame are so-called "assembly numbers" used to keep track of parts during manufacture - but the model number should also appear in there somewhere. The number on the outside, on the bottom of the grip frame, is the serial number and, from that and other information given, he would appear to have a Model 38 "Bodyguard Airweight" or Model 49 "Bodyguard". If it's the former, it should have "Airweight" engraved on the right side of the barrel, or you can test the frame with a magnet to see if it's alloy (i.e., Airweight) or steel.

The gun appears to date from the 1971-73 "wandering J" period, during which the "J" appeared in various places in the serial number. The only way to pin down a single year would be to call S&W. Approximate value would be in the $400 neighborhood for the M49, a couple hundred or so more for the M38.

Quote:
I everybody, i have a s&w mod 60 with serial no anc26xx, anyone can help me with the year of manufacture??
OOXXX: There's a slight break in the serial number list in SCSW just where your "ANC" prefix falls, so 1986 -1987. If it happens to have adjustable sights, that would pin it down to a special run of Model 60s that was made in 1986, and if it happens to be a -2 variation, that would make it 1987, but otherwise it could be either year based on the information available.

Page generated in 0.03108 seconds with 8 queries